SC - Ostrich, and cruelty to geese

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Tue Apr 7 08:31:10 PDT 1998

Regarding Aethelbrose/Atholl Brose, we had four variations on it posted here
a year and a half ago, as follows.  I'll leave it to someone else to pull
out the common elements from these:
 ----------
From: James and/or Nancy Gilly
Date: Thursday, December 12, 1996 9:32PM

Atholl Brose

     It was very common to mix whisky with honey in the past and equally
common to mix liquid with oatmeal.  Bringing the two together in this potent
way is credited to a Duke of Atholl during a Highland rebellion in 1475, who
is said to have foiled his enemies by filling the well which they normally
drank from with this ambrosial mixture, which so intoxicated them that they
were easily taken.
     Some traditional recipes leave in the whole oatmeal while this one,
reputed to have come from a Duke of Atholl, uses only the strained liquid
from steeping the oatmeal in water.
          6 oz / 175 g medium otameal (1-1/2 c)
          4 tablespoons heather honey
          1-1/2 pt / 3/4 L whisky (3-3/4 c)
          3/4 pt / 450 ml water (2 c)
     Put the oatmeal into a bowl and add the water.  Leave for about an
hour.  Put into fine sieve and press all the liquid through.  (Use the
remaining oatmeal for putting into bread or making porridge - see p. 26).
Add honey to the sieved liquid and mix well.  Pour into a large bottle and
fill up with the whisky.  Shake well before use.
     Uses
     May be drunk as a liqueur; is often served at festive celebrations such
as New Year, or may be mixed with stiffly whipped cream and served with
shortbread as a sweet.

(*Scottish Cookery*, by Catherine Brown.  Copyright 1989 Catherine Brown.
Reprinted 1990, Richard Drew Publishing Ltd, Glasgow.)

Slainte -

Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie          Argent, a chevron cotised azure
Dun na Leomhainn Bhig                   surmounted by a sword and in chief
Barony of Marinus                       two mullets sable

 -----------------------------
From: Tom Brady
Date: Thursday, December 12, 1996 10:10PM

Your Grace, I not only have a delicious recipe, I have made it and will
vouch for it. I kept this on file from The Rialto, where it originally
appeared on 24 April, 1995, written by the estimable Lothar (Roslyn Rice).
Here is the pertinent text of the post (all typos mine, since Dejanews' 1995
archive is currently unavailable):

AEthelbross
 -----------
Ingredients:
        2-3 cups rolled oats
        2-3 cups water
        1-1 1/2 cups more water

        4 cups Scotch (the better the quality the better the brew)
        1 cup honey
        1 cup cream or half-n-half

Equipment needed:
        Two large bowls
        measuring cup
        spoon
        cheese cloth

Makes 1/2 gallon

Instructions:
1. In a large bowl, mix oats and water, stir, and let the mixture sit until
the water is totally absorbed (overnight).
2. Add 1-1 1/2 cups more water to the mixture; let it sit 2 hours.
3. Strain oat/water mixture through 2-3 layers of cheesecloth into a large
bowl by squeezing and wringing globs of oatmeal through the cloth until the
oats are nearly free of water. This is messy and requires a lot of effort!
Reserve pressed oats for oat cakes [see recipe below].
4. Add scotch, honey, and cream to oat-water. Mix until ingredients are
blended.
5. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Best served cold.

Oat Cakes
 ---------
Ingredients:
        Oats
        Water
        Butter
        (optionally sugar)

Equipment:
        Mixing bowl
        Griddle or skillet
        Pancake turner

Makes approximately 20? cakes

Instructions:
1. Take oats reserved from AEthelbross, and mix with a bit of water, butter,
and possibly sugar until you have created a relatively dry mixture of
ingredients.
2. Make thin patties from the mixture and cook on a greased griddle or
skillet like pancakes until the oats on both sides are golden brown and the
patty is cooked through. This will require low heat and some patience.

The resulting cake is hard, sweet (especially if you add sugar), and dry.
They go along very nicely with AEthebross. The oat-stuff left after making
AEthelbross is basically waste; this is somethign useful to do with it. It
is essentially an oatmeal cookie fried in a pan.
 ---------
Duncan's comments: I've made the AEthelbross, but not the oat cakes. I used
a blended scotch (I think single malt is a bit much considering all the
other stuff being mixed in), clover honey bought in bulk from my local
health food store, and straight heavy whipping cream. The resulting drink is
thick, sweet, creamy, and potent enough to knock your socks off. I can
recommend it highly - in fact, I'll probably have some with me at Twelfth
Night.

Slainte!
 -Duncan, yr. inebriated cook
_________________________________
From: E T Smith
Date: Saturday, April 12, 1997 6:33PM

Recipes from Scotland by F.
Marian McNeill, (Edinburgh, Scotland: The Albyn Press, 1946), p.90.

1 Quart Steel-cut Oatmeal, uncooked
1 Cup Heather Honey
A Fifth of Single Malt Scotch Whiskey
Milk or cream to taste
Directions:
Put the oatmeal (please use regular Quaker Oats if you cannot find Irish
or Scots) in a two-quart open glass container and cover the oats with
"good" water. (I use bottled water.) After a day's time, again cover the
oats with water. When the "milk" is opaque, strain the liquid through
cheesecloth into a clean, sealable glass container. Add the honey,
whiskey, and milk or cream to the oat milk, and refrigerate the
container for at least two weeks or more. Agitate the mixture daily to
ensure a proper emulsion.
FROM:  Corun MacAndra

Athollbrose

Ingredients
     2-3 cups rolled oats
     2-3 cups water
     1-1 1/2 cups more water
     4 cups Scotch (the better quality the better the brew)
     1 cup honey
     1 cup cream or Half-n-Half

Equipment Needed
     Two large bowls
     measuring cup
     spoon
     cheese cloth

Makes 1/2 gallon

Instructions

     1. In a large bowl mix oats and water, stir, let the mixture sit until
     the water is totally absorbed (overnight).

     2. Add 1-1 1/2 cups more water to the mixture, let sit 2 hours.

     3. Strain oat/water mixture through 2-3 layers of cheese cloth into a
     large bowl by squeezing and wringing globs of oatmeal through  the
     cheese cloth until oats are nearly free of water. This is messy and
     requires a lot of effort! Reserve pressed oats for oat cakes.

     4. Add scotch, honey, and cream to oat-water. Mix until all ingredients
     are are blended.

     5. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Best served cold.

     Athollbrose is an alcoholic Scots punch. I don't know if it's Period,
but all the ingredients are concievably available in Period. In any case,
it's delicious. It is quite alcoholic, but the oats, honey, and cream  hide
the alcoholic kick and "fill your stomach". It's delicious, dangerous stuff.

Oat Cakes

Ingredients
     Oats
     Water
     Butter
     (optionally sugar)

Equipment
     Mixing bowl
     Griddle or Skillet
     Pancake turner

Makes approximately 20? cakes

Instructions

     1. Take oats reserved from Athelbross mix with a bit of water, butter,
     and possibly sugar until you have created a relatively dry mixture of
     the  ingredients.

     2. Make thin pattys from the mixture and cook on a greased griddle or
     skillet like pancakes until the oats on both sides are golden brown and

     the patty is cooked through. This will require a low heat and some
     patience.

     The resulting cake is hard, sweet (especially if you add sugar), and
dry. They go along very nicely with Athollbrose. The oat-stuff left over
after the Athollbrose is basically waste. This is something useful to do
with
it. The recipie is only an approximation, since everyone will have their own
way of making what is, essentially, an oatmeal cookie fried in a pan.

     Corun MacAnndra   |   Dark Horde by birth   |   Moritu by choice