SC - Tiramisu

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Tue Apr 7 14:39:20 PDT 1998

> The orange used in medieval times was the Seville, or sour orange, which I
> believe is still available in Europe. I use the sour Valencias off my
> mom's
> tree to approximate the taste.
>
> Renata

According to ye olde quick ref, oranges originate in China and were
transplanted into India from there, then from India into the Middle East.
Seville oranges (Citrus aurantium) were introduced into Spain by the Moors
and from there into Europe.

The Portuguese introduced a variety of sweet oranges from Japan about 1529.
I suspect, but do not know, that these were C. reticulata, which include the
mandarine orange, the tangerine and the Satsuma varieties.

C. sinensis, which are sweeter still and include Navel and Valencia oranges,
were introduced to Europe about 1635.

Given those points, your Valencias may actually be Sevilles.

I've been trying to find Sevilles locally without much luck.  I wanted to
try my hand at making marmalade.

Bear