SC - Spiced Apple Juice

SINGER1ARL SINGER1ARL at aol.com
Wed Apr 8 07:11:59 PDT 1998

> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:56:58 -0400
> From: "marilyn traber" <mtraber at email.msn.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Silk Route
>
> For a far eastern and partial silk route feast, why not read Marco Polo? If
> memory served, the Orient Express and Pan Am didn't exist, and he had to
> travel pretty much the entire length of the route, and I vaguely remember
> him complaining about the food. There were also other authors in the very
> late period that also compained about the food, and for a number of years
> much of russia was under mongolian rule, so I can check an hagiography from
> russia I have to see if it says anything about the food along the volga.

The only problem with Marco Polo is that some of his account is, well,
fanciful, unless we assume the headless race he discovered with their
faces on their torsos has since become extinct. Or possibly he took an
accidental detour into Brooklyn. Of course this is no reason to _assume_
the references to food in Marco's account to be fictional or inaccurate,
and it is certainly worth looking into.

In any case, you might also check William of Rubrick, who took more or
less the same trip, at around the same time, who gives fairly detailed
accounts of foods encountered on the journey, and whose encounters with
headless people were pretty much limited to people who had run afoul of
the Mongols. His account is available in various forms, the first one
coming to mind is in a book called, IIRC, "Contemporaries of Marco
Polo". I'll post more specific information on this book if I find it
later today.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com