SC - Fwd: Spice Is Nice

DianaFiona DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Apr 9 10:00:26 PDT 1998

> Heres a question for you...is it better to do a Looooooooooooooong single
> document, preferrably searchable, or is better to do each recipe by
> itself?
>
> --Anne-Marie, who is not a computer person, excpet when it comes to making
> the #$%& things do data manipulation and graphs for her.

If I were doing Web pages of the recipes, I would try to break them out into
searchable logical groupings on pages of about 300K to 400K, that way
downloading a page is long but not excessive.

A couple other ways to approach the problem are making the web site the
front end to a database of recipes with a group of defined searches and a
limited ad hoc inquiry capability or storing groups of recipes as PDF
documents available for perusal or download.

Frankly, given the resources, I would create PDF documents of the older work
and commentary as that represents a published body of work.  I would web the
newer work in logical groupings (dreamer) until it was stable, then create a
new logical document. Some advantages of the PDF are 1) can be viewed
online, 2) internally searchable, 3) can be bookmarked by the creator, 4)
can be thumb-nailed by the creator, and 5) webbed PDF files can be indexed
by some search engines.

That's my tuppence.  How you actually do things will probably be decided by
your hosts resources and the designer who builds your web site.

Bear