SC - Fw: [Mid] Is camping without a cooler out of period?

Yumitori no Kiyoshi yumitori at montana.com
Thu Apr 9 22:15:27 PDT 1998

I thought I had posted some polenta recipes a few months ago and was
discussing polenta with Sarah privately to conserve bandwidth.  Since my
earlier post seems elusive, let me post the recipes in question.

Bear

Fried Creamed Wheat

(Apicius 301, as taken from Giacosa, A Taste of Ancient Rome)

Aliter dulcia:  Accipies similam, coques in aqua calida ita ut durissimam
pultem facias, deinde in patellam expandis.  Cum refrixerit, concidis quasi
dulcia et frigis in oleo optimo.  Levas, perfundis mel, piper aspergis et
inferes.  Melius feceris, si lac pro aqua miseris.

Another sweet dish:  Take flour, cook in hot water so that it becomes a very
firm polenta, then spread it on a plate.  When it has cooled, cut it as for
sweet cakes and fry in oil of the finest quality.  Remove, pour honey over,
sprinkle with pepper and serve.  You will do even better if you use milk
instead of flour.

Barley Polenta

(Pliny, Naturalis Historia, 18, 73, as taken from Giacosa, A Taste of
Ancient Rome)

Vicenis hordei libris ternas seminis lini et coriandri selibram salisque
acetabulum.

For each 20 librae of barley, 3 librae of linseeds and 1/2 libra of
coriander, in addition to an acetabulum of salt.

 Serves 4.

12 oz. ground barley
3 Tbs. linseeds
2 tsp. coriander
sufficient salt

Boil 1 quart of water, gradually add the ingredients, and leave to cook for
approximately 1 hour.  Add more boiling water if the barley consumes too
much.  A more flavorful polenta can be obtained by cooking the barley in
meat stock or vegetable broth instead of water.

Baric's Polenta

Take 1 cup of millet and crush it (I ran mine through a spice grinder).
Put 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt in a pan.  Bring to a boil.
Dissolve 1/4 cup honey in the boiling water.
Add the millet and cook until the mixture is stiff and the water is
absorbed.
Scrape the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool and set up (refrigeration
works best, but the loaf can be cooled on the counter).
When the loaf is cool, put a plate over the bowl and invert plate and bowl.
The loaf should drop onto the plate.
Slice the loaf with a fine cord and serve it forth.

Millet is slightly sour to my taste, so I chose to the honey to smooth the
flavor.
Millet is very granular and tends to be crumbly.  I am thinking of adding
some wheat flour for the cohesiveness of the gluten.