SC - mail list

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 14:00:02 PDT 1998

At 12:07 PM -0400 4/11/98, marilyn traber wrote:
>>>We really don't have much money - it was suggested that we have
>people bring food to share instead of gifts, but I think that sounds
>kinda tacky
>
>I agree, so now the question is, about how much money do you have to work
>with? Do you want an early period or late period feast? How authentic do you
>want it to be?

The other question is what you suspect about the culinary tastes of your
guests.

Period food need not be expensive. Chicken is a common period meat, for
example, and there are also dishes using lentils, beans, rice, breadcrumbs,
lots of inexpensive stuff. On the other hand, one way to make a feast
period while being confident that Americans with conservative tastes will
eat it is to serve roast meats with appropriate period sauces; if your
guests don't like the sauces they don't have to use them--and roast meat is
relatively expensive.

If your guests are the kind of people who are happy with modern Chinese,
middle eastern, etc.--i.e. are willing to enjoy new kinds of food--you
shouldn't have any problem.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/