SC - Wardens in syrup

KKimes1066 KKimes1066 at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 01:51:03 PDT 1998

<< Turmeric really isn't a substitute for saffron; saffron has quite a
 strong taste even in small amounts, which turmeric doesn't.  If you end up
 in this position again and can't find saffron at a reasonable price, talk
 to us--we're not that far from you.  I don't know of any recipes using
 turmeric in Europe pre-1600. >>

However, a period substitution for saffron IS dried calendula flowers.  They
were commonly grown in European herb gardens.

~~Minna Gantz
aka <Kallyr at aol.com>