SC - Spices-another source

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Tue Apr 14 20:10:46 PDT 1998

<< I am curious as to how these flowers are a substitute for saffron. Saffron
 imparts a distinctive flavor to a dish and , IMO, it would be similar to
 substituting parsley for basil or oregano. Certainly  cooks substitue things
 occasionally in recipes but we must not fool ourselves into thinking that the
 use of such substitutions  produces a dish that would be remotely similar to
 the original so far as flavor goes when using such widely dissimilar
 foodstuffs. >>

The use of calendula would be very similar to an original recipe using that
substitution.  I agree that irresponsible & cavalier substitutions makes many
redactions completely different fom the recipes they are intended to recreate.
However, I said calendula blossoms were a period substitution, and they were.
Presumedly they were used to get a yellow color.  I DID NOT say they were a
good flavor match.  I can't tell you if they are, because I haven't tried
them, but I doubt they would be.  If you haven't tried them either, I suggest
you wait until you do to offer your opinion on how inappropriate they are.
Presumedly they were used when saffron was unavailable, or by those who found
it too expensive.

Yours,
~~Minna Gantz <Kallyr at aol.com>