SC - Pennsic Menu?

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 20:33:58 PDT 1998

Me, before: However, a period substitution for saffron IS dried calendula
flowers.  They  were commonly grown in European herb gardens.

Please excuse what is probably a dumb question, but what period soruce advises
calundula as a substitute for saffron?

I learned this in the course of reading about period herbs from a gardening
perspective.  I've seen it several places, but none, I belive were primary
sources.  I'm very sorry I don't have that citation to share, but if I come
across it again, I'll post it here.

However, a period substitution for saffron IS dried calendula flowers.  They
>  were commonly grown in European herb gardens.

Yours,
~~Minna Gantz <Kallyr at aol.com>