SC - Headline: SCA-Cooks Unite at Pennsic and Feed the Kn own World!

Tamara Crehan tcrehan at mssupport.microsoft.com
Wed Apr 15 09:11:47 PDT 1998

>Dear Cousins,
>    In my 10 years in the SCA I have occasionally seen references to
>books on carving and garnishing. I am preparing to do a Feast for a
>small collegium, and would love to be able to include some examples of
>those methods taught in these books. The list of books :
>
>    1. 1423 Arte de Cisoria by the Marquess of Villena
>    2.  1508 Book of Kervynge - Wynken de Worde (sp?)
>    3.  1604  Il Trinciante - Vincenzo Cervio
>    4. 1676  L'Escole Parfait des Officiers de Bouche  (author?)
>
>At least two of these are much more than carving manuals. If anyone on
>the list has a clue where to find any of these (in any form) please let
>me know (public or private). I am reasonably sure I cannot afford
>anything like originals, but if I can copy from microfilm, etc?
>
>Thanks bunches,
>Ceridwen
>
>ceridwen at commnections.com

Hello!  Visit
http://www.library.upenn.edu/special/gallery/aresty/aresty1.html An
Exhibition from the Esther B. Aresty Collection of Rare Books in the
Culinary Arts.  I know Esther Aresty had a copy of Il Trinciante in her
collection.

>1676  L'Escole Parfait des Officiers de Bouche  (author?)
This may be " A Perfect School of Instructions for the Officers of the
Mouth" by Giles Rose, one of the Master Cooks to Charles II.  1682.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"