SC - request - Sir Kenelm Digby (fwd)

THL Renata THLRenata at aol.com
Wed Apr 15 13:13:16 PDT 1998

Broccan asks, re eggs:

>> How long is the product "safe" after the sell by date??<<

In the early 1970's, when my mother was going for her degree in Home
Economics, one of her classes took a field trip to an egg producer. They were
told that eggs ('cause there were so many of them) were already a year old
before they even got to the supermarket!

Due to salmonella, this is no longer done, but it goes to show that eggs, when
properly handled, have a very looooong shelf life. Any egg that does not smell
sulferous right out of the shell and is cooked thoroughly is safe to eat, but
might lose something in the flavor department.

Please note that I am *not* recommending this, I'm just saying that it can be
done.

Renata