SC - Translation

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Wed Apr 15 16:21:08 PDT 1998

>    In my 10 years in the SCA I have occasionally seen references to
>books on carving and garnishing. I am preparing to do a Feast for a
>small collegium, and would love to be able to include some examples of
>those methods taught in these books.

Several years ago I got a great German book on carving through interlibrary
loan. The title sys that it's abut table customs to the end of the Middle
Ages, but as I recall there was quite a lot about carvers and  the art of
carving. It's a good secondary source and if you can handle the German
worth looking up. There are also some great photographs of dishes and
eating utensils.

Schiedlausky, Gunther. Essen und trinken: Tafelsitten bis zum Ausgang des
Mittelalters.
        Munich: Prestel Verlag, 1956.

Valoise