SC - Take a Thousand Eggs or More

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 20 11:21:01 PDT 1998

<<
 Rhubarb is also beginning to enter it's peak season.  Eaten stewed and
 sweetened with sugar it's "medicinal" value readily becomes apparent.
 Although not documentable as period, you might want to reconstitute the last
 of the dried apples left over from the fall and combine them with rhubarb to
 make a nice apple rhubarb pie/tart.  Remember to only pick the largest stalks
 and leave some for strengthening the plant for next year's harvest. >>>

       Hummmm, Ras, how many plants would you suggest for one household? I
haven't grown rhubarb in years, and can't remember........ I got a package
with three roots at the nursery to give to my mother-in-law and was wondering
if snitching one root would do any good, or if I should just buy my own
package! ;-)

 from Gurney's and Burpees as well as long-root beets.>>>

       Oh, *really*??? That's new, and I missed them since I had plenty of
seed left over this year, so I didn't look hard at the carrot sections. I've
also found white carrots at Bountiful Gardens, in California, BTW.

>>>  For those of the Christian
 persuasion, constructing an arbor and planting species roses around your
 grotto would serve the same purpose.>>>>

      *gloat* I've got two new period roses that just arrived and are waiting
on the rain to stop so I can plant them! Rosa Mundi and Great Maiden's Blush,
from Heirloom Garden Roses in Oregon--great place, with more period varieties
than I've found anywhere else.

foul and stinking odors but it may also attract undesirable creatures such as
plague rats to the garden.>>>>

      ????? But what about various manures? They are staples in classic
composting! Or are you thinking of meat scraps from the kitchen? There I'll
agree with you.........

 Happy gardening! :-)

 al-Sayyid Ras

     Ditto!