SC - Compost pile

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 11:50:01 PDT 1998

<<
 violet syrup (I can't find my recipe off the bat, basically sugar, water,
 flowers boiled down and strained) is also a yummy lite addition to plain
 buttered crepes- beautiful lavendar if most of your violets are white or
 purple- the yellow ones make an odd color.  And if you make the syrup extra
 strong and put it away for the fall it is a great soother of sore throat and
 cough.  Remember to shake/rinse the ants etc off the flowers- they *are*
 hiding in there, as violets are sweet- can't hurt anything after they've been
 boiled, but it can be a bit disturbing! ;)
 -brid

      *sigh* I've got loads of violets, all right--they are taking over my
garden! But the ones that grow here in the Southeast are scentless, so there's
not much point in making a syrup of them. The candied ones *are* pretty, just
flavorless........ *grump*
       Hummmm, anyone know of a use for the violet roots? I dig a ton of the
things out of my beds, be nice to be able to *do* something with them! ;-) The
leaves are edible of course, but those blasted roots.............
           Ldy Diana