SC - rasher/game birds

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 21 11:12:39 PDT 1998

<< Here is a similar recipe which does call for saffron:

 Harleian MS. 4016
 79 Browne fryes.  Take browne brede, and kut hit thyn; And then take yolkes
 of eyren, and som with of the white; and take meyned floure, and drawe the
 eiren and the floure thorgh a streynour; and take sugur a gode quantite,
 and a litul saffron and salt, And cast thereto:  and take a faire panne
 with fressh grece; And whan [th]e grece is hote, take downe and putte it in
 [th]e batur, and turne hit wel therein, and [th]en put hit in [th]e pan
 with the grece, And lete hem fry togidre a litull while; And then take hem
 vpp, and caste sugur thereon, and so serue hit hote. >>

The author of _Seven Centuries of English Cooking_ was obviously working off
of this recipe and actually followed it pretty precisely!  She also called it
"Brown Fries", but also mentioned Pain perdu and I must have gotten the too
confused.  Thank you - this is the one I wanted!

Brangwayna