SC - New Introduction

Bbqbarb Bbqbarb at aol.com
Tue Apr 21 15:08:54 PDT 1998

I always thought my dad had the best plan for this...

We were doing sort of a "living off the land" thing, and we kept chickens and ducks.  Dad (with some help from my brothers) built a big chicken house with a human-sized front door and two chicken-sized side doors.  On one side the door was blocked off, on the other side the door led into a huge pen that was fenced in with chicken wire.  On the side with the blocked door, Dad planted his garden; also fenced in with chicken wire to avoid raiding animals.

Every year, a couple weeks before planting, Dad would shoo all the chickens in the house, block the door to the pen and let them out the other side.  Then he'd turn us kids loose in there with shovels and hoes to turn the soil, and then he'd plant this year's garden in last year's pen.

You never saw such big, beautiful vegetables... :-)  and all the neighbors were jealous because they couldn't get vegetables to grow in the yucky sandy soil we had...