SC - cooking game birds

RMcGrath at dca.gov.au RMcGrath at dca.gov.au
Wed Apr 22 06:44:15 PDT 1998

After working as a cook in London for a family with *expensive* tastes (ask
me about 101 things to do with fresh salmon some day :-) I also had to cook
pheasants.

If you buy pheasant from Harrods, you can get it with streaky bacon wrapped
all around it and tied round with string. Best of all, you don't have to
shoot the bird, hang it in a shed for days, then pluck the dratted thing.
Before placing the bird in a baking dish for 45 mins or so (depending upon
the oven and what else is being cooked in it), I would add approximately
100 to 150 grams of butter *inside* the bird.  (Wear gloves while working
with the bird - a well-hung bird (yup, no jokes! :-) has a most distinctive
aroma that can be a little difficult to remove sometimes.)  This ensured
that the bird would be tender and not at all dry.  Simply drain any excess
butter after baking into the baking dish, and make a gravy with the liquid.

yours continually in service (I *really* miss the salmon)
Rakhel Petrova