SC - New Introduction

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Apr 22 20:35:16 PDT 1998

Some more ideas:
- --a 50 minute survey on food and eating in the real middle ages. kinda a
basic whirlwind tour of what they ate, and why. I base mine around the
seasonability of foodstuffs and agricultural practices in 15th century
Britain.
- --a hands on cooking class where they get to make their lunch on the fire.
Using documentably period recipes, of course :)
- --a tastebuds on class on beverages, again, with documentation
- --I took a GREAT class in Calontir, where she had a bunch of ingredients
and their possible substitutions. We got to compare all kinds of vinegar,
why wild rice isnt a good sub for white rice, why you cant really use some
spices in place of others, what the heck does a lignonbery taste like
anyway, etc. The piece de resistance is that she had made three batches of
rice. One used yellow food coloring, one used tumeric and one used saffron.
She also made numerous batches of shortbread, subbing in different kinds of
sugar (turbinado, white, brown, etc) and different flours (rice vs whole
wheat, etc) and different fats (butter vs margerine vs oil). Kitchen
Science! and no more "hmm...well, this SHOULD be fine..." :)
- --pick a period cookbook, and make some treats from it. Spend your time
discussing the history of that particular book while your students get to
nibble bits. Time permitting, you can discuss reconstruction of recipes
from period sources.

Hope this helps...
- --ANne-Marie