SC - Book reviews

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 22:01:41 PDT 1998

>I am preparing to write a book review on a cookbook.  As cooks, what
>information is the most important to you when you read a short review?
>
>Murkial

As a Chronicler, I have to say that one of the nicest things to find in a
book review is permission to reprint it in an SCA publication  :-) Most
newsletters are constantly looking for short blurbs of this kind to share
with their readers.

Aside from that, I'd say the typical bibliographic information in as
complete form as possible (include ISBN, etc.). I'd want to know if the
book included period recipes in their original form, or redactions, or
both. And if redactions are included, how reliable were the new versions
and how tasty was the end product.

Also helpful is information on how the book is set up. For instance, are
the recipes ordered by time period? Type of dish? Is there a complete
bibliography so we can backtrack the author's research? And finally, of
course, what is the price?

- -Margritte