SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #680

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Fri Apr 24 16:17:35 PDT 1998

> I seem to have missed something. Did somebody post such a recipe with a
> period source? I only found one other post with the same subject line,
and
> it had nothing about combining apple juice with fruit and spices from
afar.
> It seemed to be a reference to cider, which is fermented apple juice, and
> to hippocras, which (at least in the recipes I am familiar with) contains
> no exotic fruit juices at all.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

I was asking if anybody could prove or disprove a factsheet off a TV show
which said

"Spiced Apple Juice - The French Alternative

Medieval times were filled with wine, women and song, and spiced apple
juice was a popular beverage at midwinter feasts held at the very best
medieval banqueting halls. The original recipe for this warming drink
called for a basket of slightly mouldy medieval apples, as well as
ambergris and musk which come from the sperm whale and musk ox. Jackie
French recently showed us how to make a modern version of the genuine
medieval spiced apple juice with ingredients that are more readily
available today."

The sheet seems to imply that a period source was used and as I really like
apple juice and most of the spices used I was wondering if anybody could
help document it if it was documentable.

I also posted the modern recipe (version?) but I can repost (privately or
to the list if wanted).

The recipe orginally caught my eye due to the show's perspective of the
middle ages.

Just being curious.

Sharon Nevin
Barony of Stormhold, Lochac.