SC - songs dealing with recipes

Tim Allison tallison at mcs.com
Tue Apr 28 10:18:10 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Stephan asks about "exotic spices" to stock up on...
might I suggest poudre forte? Tony Hill of Worldspice (www.worldspice.com)
has my recipe for poudre forte on file. Its based on period sources and
proportions, and contains grains of paradise as well as the usual suspects
of cinnamon, pepper, clove, etc. He can also make up poudre douce if you
give him proportiions (he did it for us for the last banquet). Tell him
"apple pie spice without the allspice" and he'll know. You add your own
sugar to taste (though he can do that too). Everything is freshly ground
right before you get it.

I find that I use poudre forte in most of my medieval recipes, rather than
mixing up a unique mix each time for any recipe that calls for "good
spice", etc.

I have long peppers, cubebs and other things, but rarely use them alone.
Galangale I use in my ypocras, and cubeb in my saupiquet (a French version
of egredouce), but other than that I use mostly poudre forte.

Hope this helps!
- --AM