SC - Substitutions

THL Renata THLRenata at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 11:37:58 PDT 1998

At 12:13 AM -0600 4/28/98, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>There are a number of wonderful mailorder spice merchants that have been
>mentioned on this list. Unfortunately, I have not been a big user of
>these exotic spices, so I've never thought I needed enough to justify an
>order and the shipping overhead.
>
>If I were to place an order for the few spices I can immediately think of,
>what other spices would you recommend I buy so that I would have them on
>hand when I suddenly want to try a recipe on the spur of the moment?

In addition to what has already been mentioned, saffron may be better
quality and price special ordered than in your grocery store.

Also note that you can share a special order.  Half a pound of grains of
paradise is too much, but split it among the several cooks in your end of
your kingdom and it comes down to something reasonable.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook