SC - songs dealing with recipes

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Tue Apr 28 21:03:12 PDT 1998

Your Grace,

Having recently done a "gimmick feast", I used the feast as an exercise
in expanding my own horizons, i.e. to force myself out of the rut that I
was in. I have now done numerous period feasts - most of which have been
quite period. On this new effeort,I worked very hard to document the
recipes for the period around 1300 A.D. including the Chinese recipes
used. While my documentation was not perfect for a couple of dishes, it
was still quite good. I feel that feasts of this type are a worthwhile
exercise if not overdone by the individual or used as an excuse for not
documenting their work.
Your reservations on doing such feasts are, of course, valid but would
it not be better to use them as cautionary statements as opposed to mild
comdemnations of such attempts? Please understand that I ask this
question with all of the respect one can have for you and your work.

LLEW