SC - Swithin Cream?

Daria Anne Rakowski dar3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Apr 29 11:29:26 PDT 1998

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:40:13 +0100 (BST) Daria Anne Rakowski
<dar3 at st-andrews.ac.uk> writes:

>Greetings,
>
>I have been requested to find a recipe for 'Swithin Cream' and I have
>never heard of it and haven't been able to find it so far. It includes
>such things as Dandelion heads, cream, sugar, etc.(all of which we
>have in
>abundance!) Proportions? Sources? Thank-you in advance.
>
>Coll

Swithin Cream

Oeels of 2 large lemons, grated
10 dandelion flowers
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 c sugar

Beat the cream, add salt and sugar, fold in lemon peel and flower petals.

It's from Medieval Holidays & Festivals by Madeleine Pelner Cosman. Yes,
the same Madeleine Pelner Cosman who did Fabulous Feasts. No
documentation. I've never seen anything like it in a good reference. But
it tastes  very good. (Hey! I was given the book as a gift before I knew
any better and I made a lot of the recipes in it. Some of them aren't
bad. The peppermint rice is a little weird. So is the Pasta and Apricot
Butter. Need I say more?)

Julleran