SC - Chinese Middle Ages & Ras' attitude

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Apr 29 22:53:48 PDT 1998

<< In a message dated 4/28/98 10:53:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Kallyr at aol.com
 writes:

 << 500-1500. >>

 Would you be so kind as to forward me your sourses for this info so I could
 study it a little more? According to the History of China, the Chinese did
not
 begin to leave the Middle Ages until the Communists came to power in this
 century. ISince this is an area that interest me I would be most appreciative
 fior any information. Thank-you.

 Ras >>

It is my understanding that the 500-1500 is a general guideline for the era of
SCA recreation activities whatever country is under consideration.

I don't know what you mean by "the History of China". As with all countries,
there are many histories about China, despite titles.  It is cultural
discrimination to equate having a feudal society with being in the middle
ages.  This becomes a matter of definition.  What is "the Middle Ages" once we
leave Europe?  I'm on this list to exchange information, not to get into flame
wars.

I feel that you've treated me badly.  It so happens that I've been studying
plants and their historic uses for about 25 years.  On my very first day, I
posted INFORMATION that calendula was used as a period substitute for saffron.
It was.

I was insulted that you essentially accused me of supporting irresponsible
substitution.  So I responded huffily agreeing it would probably not be a good
flavor match and repeating my opposition to bad substitution.  You had your
rant.  Nowhere in your exposition of your qualifications to opine did you
state that you had ever actually tasted calendula sustituted in a saffron
dish.  (Your argument was, I believe, that none of the substitutes you've
tried were adequate, so it couldn't be.  This is a classic example of faulty
logic.)   However, I have an economic argument which supports your case-- if
it were a good substitute, people wouldn't keep paying the price of saffron
when calendula is so much cheaper.

I hope we can bury the hatchet because I am interested in many of the same
things you are.  I am sure we may have many areas of both agreement and
disagreement.  I'd rather we each felt free to express our opinions and
knowledge, supported by references whenever possible, than make this into a
competitive arena.

Sincerely,  ~~Minna Gantz  <KALLYR at aol.com>