SC -saffron/calendula

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Thu Apr 30 18:44:05 PDT 1998

Dear Minna,

>>On my very first day, I
posted INFORMATION that calendula was used as a period substitute for
saffron.>>

I came in late and missed a lot of the foregoing posts.  Would you post
me some information about the calendulas substituting for saffron, even
if they are not a good substitution?  I have to plant a new flower bed,
and found calendula plants at my neighborhood nursery, in both dark and
pale blue.  They seem like a good choice, but I'd like more information
if I can get it.  How nice if my flower bed could stock my kitchen, too!
This is for a small row of plants in the front, between retaining walls,
so I can't 'hide' a tomato or two as I'll be able to do in the back
wildflower garden.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com
Master Chirurgeon, Companion des Lindquistrings, Princess' Order of
Courtesy