SC - Definition needed: primary, secondary, tertiary sources ??

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Apr 30 23:02:11 PDT 1998

First let me repeat the historian's line: Primary, secondary, tertiary
are handy conepts so long as you don't believe in them.

A 'primary source' is not necessarily good enough - there are
descriptions around of foods which were probably NEVER made, but which
would be classified as primary sources. That is just one illustration of
one of the many difficulties with the concept.

Now, to answer the questions:

On Fri, 1 May 1998, HICKS, MELISSA wrote:

> As a beginning cook in the Society I would like to cook "documentably"
> period food.  Question is, what do people call "documentation".
- --Some evidence that the dish is something which would have been cooked
in the same way 'in period'

> If I have a recipe written in a period source (i.e. Harlan manuscript)
> is that primary or secondary?
- --primary
> What if the recipe was middle eastern but written by an Englishman?
- --primary source for an english interpretation of. secondary for an
actual middle eastern version, unless written from direct observation
in the ME, or an expert at preparation of same...
> Is a facsimile of that manuscript in a modern book (i.e. Falconwood
> Press) primary or secondary?
- --primary
> Is a reprint (where all words and spelling are kept but the recipe is
> retyped) P or S
- --If it is done properly, primary (this is one of the possible areas of
contention)
> What about if the spelling is modernized ??
- --as above
> Is a translation of that recipe into another language P, S or T ??
- --as above, but may be regared as secondary by many
> Is a redaction of that recipe S or T ??
- --Yes. But by this stage it does not matter - the question becomes 'Is it
an accurate redaction? (there are other questions as well - are there
other possiblities, etc)
> What if Cariadoc does the redaction ??
- --You get an indulgence every time you use and acknowledge it. If it
tastes good you are eligible for a seat in the 'Hot tub under the rock',
so long as you bring some. (Or was that it is of primary value to use a
good secondary source. A tertiary educator such as his Grace produces
nothing less than five-star brilliance. who is it for?)

Charles Ragnar