SC - Piquant foods

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Wed Apr 1 23:00:01 PST 1998

Having had a pair of Chinese Aunts[roommates of my grandmother, Mt Holyoak
'19] one of whom wrote cookbooks and taught Chinese cuisine, I was taken to
various tiny storefront and 3d floor places that were owned, operated and
catered to the Chinese themselves, I was aghast when taken to a mainstream
chinese place for us whities in the late 60's by a well meaning friend of my
parents. They didn't have chopsticks[to this day I find it hard to eat
several oriental cuisines without them...] they didnt just bring tea and
nibbles to the table to hold you while you ordered-you bought tea by the
cup. They didnt even have soy sauce on the table, you had to ask for it.
Sheesh, talk about disapointing!

margali the almost ancient