SC - Horseradish

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Apr 4 05:53:14 PST 1998

In a message dated 4/3/98 11:09:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
heilveil at students.uiuc.edu writes:

<< Horseradish recipes >>

Again from WR, "Food">

Horseradish was known in Egypt at least by 1500 C.E. and is one of the 5
bitter herbs used by the Jewish population eat at Passover. The Romans were
divided on it's use as a culinary plant with some expounding it's use in
winter as a warming herb  and other's like Apicius thought it much too bland
and accompanied it with peppered wine and/or garum. Still others saw it as a
cure for gallstones, asthma or to be used to improve eyesight and overcome
menstrual problems.

It was being used ealy on in the Middle Ages in Germany as a food but in
England it was grown in the 13th century C.E. as a medicinal up until the 16th
century when an English herbalist mentions it's use as a suce on fish and meat
made in a fashion similar to mustard.

A simple recipe is to grate the root finely, add a touch of salt and some
distilled vinegar although I much prefer using cider vinegar which
unfortunately discolors it as Mr. Root points out.

I am of the opinion that this herb deserves a place in the Modern Medieval
Garden. :-)

Ras