[none]

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Apr 6 17:53:51 PDT 1998

>Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:43:35 -0400
>From: Christi Redeker <Christi.Redeker at digital.com>
>Subject: SC - Of Interest
>
>Not to bring up the long dead topic of whether corn is a period food item
>again, but I was directed to a web site discussing an excavation of a
>Carmelite Friary in Europe and I am attaching one of the web pages here:
>
>http://www.bawue.de/~wmwerner/essling/english/karmel03.html
>
>For those of you without web access, the site states the following:
>
>"Perfectly preserved in the waterlogged sediments were the remains of a 13th
>century corn mill, consisting of the wooden foundations and an over 6 metre
>long water-wheel drife shaft."

Sorry to burst your discovery bubble, but corn is a generic term for ANY
grain in all european-descent cultures except the Americas. So little boy
blue's cows, who were in the "corn", were really in the wheat, barley, oat,
or rye field.It is fairly unlikely that Ear-corn (Maize) was found growing
in the 1200s in europe, 292 years before Columbas exported the stuff the
Spain (if, indeed, he did at that early date).

I hate it when someone comes up with a perfectly logical de-bunk to my pet
discoveries. I applaud your enthusiasm! Keep slogging at it and you WILL
discover something amazing, I promise.

Aoife, still that excited all these years later. Guess I have that cooking
"bug".