SC - Kasutera

Yumitori no Kiyoshi yumitori at montana.com
Sat Apr 11 18:56:47 PDT 1998

Haifuku!

> Trager does not state a source nor can I find a supporting reference. I'm
> also a little puzzled why the Dutch, rather than the Portuguese,  would be
> introducing a Castilean food.  I would be interested in the references you
> have found, as this conundrum has been a minor irritation since I came
> across it.

	The some of the folk on the language newsgroup thoeorized that the name
was imported during the time that the Dutch were under Spanish
rulership. Me, I have no idea; it's not an era I know anything about. At
this point I have way morer questions than answers.

> Since sponge cake is flour, eggs and a sweetener beaten together, it could
> be period, but I have seen no references placing it in period.  The recipes
> I have seen use sugar as the sweetener and in quantities that suggest the
> recipes would be no earlier than Tudor.  But there is also the possibility
> the recipes represent improvements on older recipes.  Provenance on all of
> these recipes is questionable.
>
> Bear

	The Tudor era would fit the prposed time frame. It is certainly
possible that the recipe has changed over time, which is a reason I am
seeking any idea as to the European precusser.

	Yumitori