SC - Ingredient substitutions

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at phd.com
Tue Apr 14 09:08:34 PDT 1998

On Tuesday, April 14, 1998 11:24 AM, Nick Sasso
[SMTP:grizly_nick at rocketmail.com] wrote:
> ---marilyn traber <mtraber at email.msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > But, Ras al-Sayid
> > IMHO, many people of lesser means would know that saffron colors
> things
> > yellow, and that is what they seem to be after in some of the
> >multicolor mush recipes rather than the taste. As many people have
> >pointed out, saunders tastes like chewing on a #2 pencil, saffron in
> >the amounts to get a real good yellow can taste
> musty/sharp/medicinal, >and some of the stuff colored with woad can be
> bitter.
> > margali
>
> Ah,
> But doesn't bottled food coloring do the same thing?

Bottled food coloring is made specifically to add NO flavor to any dish.
I regularly use them in icings, cakes, and even in preparing "lab
drinks" (bright green or red sodas made from sugar, lemon extract, and
soda water).  I have yet to detect any discernable flavor, much less to
the degree that saffron or tumeric would flavor a dish if added in
sufficient quantity to color a dish , such as rice, yellow.

Brandu