SC - Spices-another source

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Tue Apr 14 09:57:01 PDT 1998

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:06:30 EDT
From: THL Renata <THLRenata at aol.com>
Subject: Re: SC - Spices-another source

>>margali writes:
>>why bother, saffron crocus is available from nurserys.<<
>Renata writes:
>One reason is that it takes 100's (maybe 1000's) of flowers to make an
ounce
>of saffron. So, in less you have a *very* big yard, growing your own
saffron
>is not very practical.

Nay, this is an extremely practical idea, assuming the right climate and
the inclination to garden.  Most recipes (I've seen) require a thread or
two in a dish, nowhere near an ounce.  Even expanded to SCA feast sized
recipes, only  a dozen or so threads weighing less than an ounce.  With
those quantities in mind, I would think that anyone living in an area
conducive to growing saffron crocus should purchase a half dozen bulbs.
With a few years of attentive gardening, they will have multiplied  into
a couple of dozen bulbs, enough for an impressively saffroned dish in SCA
quantities at an important event.  Those with the right climate and
like-minded friends could probably grow enough to make their locals
despise any yellow food.

So, what is the right climate?

Anne