SC - Substitutions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Apr 28 11:02:35 PDT 1998

Noemi asks:

>Is a vegetable stock a good substitution for chicken stock?

As far as period recipes are concerned, you often get substitutions when
going from a meat-day version of a recipe to a fish-day or Lenten version.
Le Menagier de Paris recommends water that has been used to cook peas (I
would guess dried peas); almond milk (the white liquid you get by infusing
well-ground almonds in water) or water with a little oil added are
substituted for meat broth in some recipes; and I think I have seen both
onion broth and "half water half wine" used.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook