SC - Between two dishes ...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 28 18:29:48 PDT 1998

> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:09:21 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Jeff Berry <nexus at panix.com>
> Subject: SC - Between two dishes ...
>
> Greetings to all,
>
> a short while ago I did a small feast here in Whyt Whey
> and one of the recipes I used was "To Stew Apples" from
> Digbie.  Though the recipe was pretty straightforward, the
> penultimate line was less so.
> "You stew these between two dishes."
>
> I am not quite certain what to make of this.   On the one hand,
> might it be a bain-Marie or double boiler?  On the other, could
> it be simply a covered pot?

That sounds like a reference to a chawfer or chafing dish, which is
essentially a small brazier of charcoal, in which sits a roughly
similarly-sized inner cooking plate, which can be used covered or
uncovered. Cooking between two dishes would most likely be using this
type of setup.

Adamantius

> Alexandre Lerot d'Avigne

PS.: Do I know you, my lord? I live in Østgardr too...
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com