SC - Winter Melon

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Apr 28 18:37:09 PDT 1998

> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:14:59 -0700
> From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
> Subject: SC - Winter Melon (was: Do you think it would be appropriate?)
>
> Murkial asks:
> >>Also, does anyone know if Winter Melon is period?
> >
> >>And if so, where can I
> >>find one now?
> >
> >A good Chinese grocery store.
> >
> Actually, you may have to wait for late summer to find it.  Winter melon
> has that name because it comes ripe late summer/fall and, since it keeps
> fairly well, is then used as a vegetable over the winter.  I don't know if
> it is still available now, and I doubt you can get it out of season.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

I think it's less prevalent now than in the fall, but I gather now it's
pretty much available year round. Ordinarily the season would be as you
describe, but they're now being grown in California, all up and down the
East Coast of the U.S., and the growing season in one location dovetails
pretty well with the down time for another.

They're also available preserved in various ways, too, although I doubt
any of those pethods are any goppd for soup, if that's what Murkial was
thinking of...

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy