SC - Chinese cooking - long

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Apr 29 09:13:14 PDT 1998

At 9:06 AM -0400 4/29/98, Christi Redeker wrote:

>These are all very vague references, but more than I have seen in a book for
>SCA use for recipes in China.  Do you think that these are viable items to
>use in preparing the documentation for my feast?

The description of making fish really is a recipe, although I would be
happier seeing a straight translation instead of a modern author's summary.
The rest is better than nothing, worse than recipes. If I understand you
correctly, the pork  is a modern recipe that the author of a modern book
says is similar to a period recipe--not the period recipe itself. You could
write Ms Hahn asking for the original. You might also ask for references to
her sources and suggestions of where one could get texts to translate.

Does anyone on the list read Chinese? Know somebody who does and would be
interested? It might be worth an online search to try to locate the Chinese
versions of the books you mention (I assume none of them have been
translated) and get them translated.

As first steps, I have EMailed a Chinese student at MIT whose web page
mentions an interest in Su Tung-po, and located a bibliographic reference
to what sounds like a book on him at:
http://www.taipei.org/worldpac/eng/r000010/r009802.htm

The same bibliography (in Taipei, apparently) has lots of Wu's, but none
that obviously fits the reference.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University