SC - German Cookbooks

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 1 04:01:29 PST 1998

Arlene Silikovitz asked:
>I'd love to know when the English translation comes out.

>From this post and a few you posted just previously, I take it
that you may be interested in various cookbooks with medieval
recipes.

I got my Fabulous Feasts from an SCA merchant at either Pennsic
or Gulf Wars. However, while the first half of the book is quite
good for its information about medieval food and cooking, the
second half with the recipes has been critisized quite alot. While
I’ve never tried any of it’s recipes, I fault it for not having the
original recipes for me to look at and compare to the redactions.

If you are new to medieval cooking or are just looking for recipes,
I would recommend you skip this book and look for some others.

To get some ideas of which cookbooks would be better choices, you
might want to look at some of the files in the FOOD section of
my Stefan’s Florilegium such as:

cookbooks-bib     (32K)  4/21/97    Cookbook bibliography by Jaelle of Armida.
cookbooks2-bib    (14K) 10/ 3/97    Cookbook bibliography by Stephen Bloch.
cookbooks-msg    (126K) 12/ 9/96    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
cookbooks-SCA-msg  (8K)  3/20/98    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.
cooking-bib       (14K)  1/24/95    Bibliography on cooking sources.

I believe there are comments about Fabulous Feasts in several of these
files.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

A cookbook of medieval German recipes that is available is Das buch von guter spise.

I downloaded these files regarding it off the web a while back. While I can send
them by email (they are not in my files), I've heard they are now back on the
web at a new site.
Das-buch-art      (32K)  5/12/95    Review of Das buch von guter spise. Early
                                          German cookbook w. recipes.
Das-buch-man     (105K)  5/16/95    Manuscript of Das buch von guter spise.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net