SC - Re: German Cookbooks

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Fri Apr 3 05:09:43 PST 1998

I hate to reply to the whole list, but I didn't save Nicoltte Dufay's
e-mail address and I wanted to ask her about her cooking experiences with a
particular book.

About a week ago she asked for opinions a cookbook with a title similar to
German Cookbook of the Middle Ages. I was just going back over a
bibliography to something I'm working on and found Trude Ehlert's Das
Kochbuch des Mittelalters (Zürich: Artemis Verlag, 1990). Is this the one
you meant? This is a great book, with a short historical essay and a good
number of recipes with the original text and redactions. Some of the texts
she uses are manuscripts that have never been published and are, therefore,
inaccessible to those of us stuck in the U.S. I've always wanted to try
some of the redactions, but I never got around to it. I'd be interested in
how the feast produced from them came out.

Valoise