SC - Pie Reprise

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 6 00:06:03 PDT 1998

Last Tuesday, I asked:
> ---------
> Cutting it into the flour???? For us newbie cooks, what does this
> mean? What is the differance between cutting it in and stirring it
> in? One you use a spoon and one you use a knife? :-)
>
> Thanks.
>    Stefan li Rous

And Euriol answered:

>Precisely. You stir with a spoon, and cut with a knife. Or in the case
>of making a pie crust, usually two knives, almost in a  scissors like
>fashion (I personally use a pastry cutter, which is a D shaped utensil,
>with the handle as the back of the D, and several (about 5) dull blades
>on the curve of the D).

OH! And the little light goes on. That’s what those funny things are
for that I’ve seen in various kitchen utensil displays. Wonder how
old those are? I seriously doubt they are medieval - too much metal
but maybe Renneisance?

>... The flour
>you see in the store labeled "Better for Breads" is a high gluten
>flour. You can even buy gluten to add to all-purpose flour
>when you are using it to make breads.

Yes, I noticed a small bag of gluten in the flour section the other
day and realized what it was for from the discussions here.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net