SC - Ingredient substitutions

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 21:35:07 PDT 1998

In a message dated 4/14/98 12:23:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Kallyr at aol.com
writes:

<< However, a period substitution for saffron IS dried calendula flowers.
They
 were commonly grown in European herb gardens.

 ~~Minna Gantz >>

I am curious as to how these flowers are a substitute for saffron. Saffron
imparts a distinctive flavor to a dish and , IMO, it would be similar to
substituting parsley for basil or oregano. Certainly  cooks substitue things
occasionally in recipes but we must not fool ourselves into thinking that the
use of such substitutions  produces a dish that would be remotely similar to
the original so far as flavor goes when using such widely dissimilar
foodstuffs.

Granted, you may produce an "illusion" of the original but what the eye sees
is not what the palette experiences. :-)

Ras