SC - Ingredient substitutions

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Tue Apr 14 19:57:52 PDT 1998

>>The concept of using wonderous saffron as solely a coloring agent with
no thought to flavor is a bit foreign to me and my little myopic
world. I'm getting better, and thank you for continuing to challenge
my concepts and beliefs.

niccolo

my lord and i were knocking the ideea about over dinner, and he and I both
came up with the very same concept. When we moderns cook, it is for the
flavor. When the medievals cooked, the lower scum cooked for flavor, and
they used what grew around-calendula and alkanet, and herbs like thyme,
basil and the like. The upper crust had the fancy cooks, and used the
expensive goodies-saunders and saffron, and spices that were
imported-galengale, cloves and ginger. The poor used honey, the rich got the
sugar loaves. We dont really have any cookery books for the commoners  until
much later as they saw it as food to keep the soul in the body, not to
impress anyone. The rich hired chefs who had to promote themselves by saying
how well they could cook, and they knew how to use the costly ingredients.
Even today there is sort of the same dichotomy with the cookbooks that tell
you how to cook fast and cheap, and the cookbooks with the nouvell spa crap
that takes the expensive ingredients imported from tidbet or somewhere
obscure.

margali