SC - Pennsic food and cooking

Rebecca Tants RETANTS at us.oracle.com
Wed Apr 15 13:57:30 PDT 1998

Hi folks -

A few more comments on cooking and food at pennsic:

I'm in complete agreement with the person who said shop there unless
it's a very specialized item.  Space in the vehicle getting there is
always at a premium (no matter HOW large the vehicle is), you don't
have to worry about the heat of the car, and the grocery stores
around there do a reasonably good job of stocking the stuff we need.
I would note though that if it's something specialized or even a little
out of white bread America, it might be tougher.  We wanted to have
a stir fry night last year, and could NOT find sprouts anywhere.  They
apparently had them but don't carry a LOT, so were all out when we went.
We just swapped that dinner to another night and went shopping earlier
in the day....

Plan, Plan, Plan - based on shopping times and days, what you
can get onsite (milk, bread, eggs, someone needs to open a veggie stand)
AND what's going on - if you have a fighter heavy group to cook for,
that will effect what you make and what days are heavier meals vs.
lighter.

That being said, I plan 2-3 menu's.  The reason is that weather
definitely effects what people will eat, and until about a week
before, you can't really predict.   It also effects how long food
will keep.

I'm a big fan of a cold, quick breakfast of something nutritious
but easy to clean up, lunch in the food court and then cooking
dinner that night - it let's me enjoy all the OTHER things going
on at pennsic rather then spending the entire day cooking.  (That
breakfast is usually things like yoghurt and a bagel, cereal and
fruit, pop tarts, things like that for me, but I'm not a big breakfast
eater.  A fighter I know eats cold can's of spaghetti-o's...several.)

I admit that I don't do much in the way of period cooking at Pennsic -
I attend classes, fence, SHOP, organize events and retain for the royals -
I rarely have time.  For that reason, my camp brings everything up to
and including a gas grill - between that and the gas stoves we can
make almost anything without a huge amount of effort.  Then again,
I have some friends who have a full set of cast iron and can cook
completely period over the fire.  To me it's a time thing - I can't
imagine doing it with kids or on a busy year, but if I ever get one
that's not so busy, I may give it a try.  I'll still only cook dinner,
though.....

(Side note:  A clue from last year's GOURMET PENNSIC - Creme Brulee
works MUCH better with block ice!  Otherwise it's soup....)

(Scary thought - I just figured out what this food craving is - it's
the garlic chicken pasta bowls from pennsic. *sigh* not going get that
satisfied for 4 months.....unless anyone has a recipe for that chicken...)

Ruadh
- --
Rebecca E. Tants	retants at us.oracle.com	Phone:	716-389-1154
Oracle Consulting Services			Pager: 800-PAGE-MCI
Data Warehouse Architecture			Pin#:  1932362