Saffron amounts (was Re: SC - Spices-another source)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Apr 16 22:22:08 PDT 1998

Hello all from Anne-Marie
We are asked:
> >Second, it calls for 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron for 6 slices of bread,
this
> >being 2-3 servings.  I need to know how many threads of saffron makes
1/8
> >teaspoon; or, alternatively,  how much I would need of ground saffron to
serve
> >approximately 200 people (ie 400 slices of bread.)  I could work out how
many
> >teaspoons I'd need, but that doesn't tell me how many ounces to buy!

You've already heard from Cindy Renfrow the primary souce recipes that
match this one. How delightful! I think saffron with sweet eggy things is
wonderful.

Re; amounts...1/8 teaspoon of ground saffron is WAY too much for 6 slices
of bread, unless you're using really old really stale
all-the-oomph-shrivelled-away-last summer saffron. When I make my doucetes
(a sweet custard tart flavored with spice and saffron and sweetened with
honey), a pinch more than does it for 4 or so eggs. A pinch equals, oh,
about 1/8 teaspoon of threads. Ground up, that's WAY less than 1/8
teaspoon. So 1/8 tsp ground saffron would equal lotso pinches of threads.
When I do it, that pinch of nice juicy whole threads gives plenty of
saffron flavor to the dish, in fact, some people think its too saffrony.
Me, I love the stuff.

I would recommend several things:
1. get the freshest saffron you can. Worldspice or Penzeys or a really high
quality import food store works for this (like The Spanish Table here in
Seattle). Chances are you'll still end up paying less than you would at the
grocery store. Fresh stuff costs the same as stale stuff, but you'll use
way less and get much better flavor.

2. Stick with the whole threads rather than ground. Not only is it liekly
more fresh, and the volatile oils that give it the wonderful flavor and
aroma haven't wafted away, but you know what you're getting. Even le
Menagier in 1395 tells his young bride to beware of ground spice as it may
very well be adulterated with other things.

3. Figure a pinch (1/8 tsp or so) per 4-6 eggs. This is less than I,
saffron lover that I am, would use, but should do a happy medium. As you
bulk up, figure ONE HALF of what the math tells you you should use. Mix it
up with half the spice. Taste it, if you're not afraid of raw eggs. Test
fry a bit of bread dipped in the stuff. You can always add more saffron,
you cant take it out if you over do it! :)

4. Oh, and here's a hint for getting the most oomph out of your threads.
Take your threads in a coffee mug or small deep bowl. Put in about a
Tablespoon per pinch? of hot water (if you're bulking this up, do this in
smallish batches). Using the edge of a metal spoon or a fork, sit down in a
comfy place and smoosh the threads with the spoon/fork. Squish squish
squish until the threads look washed out and the water is dark orange. Dump
the water and exhausted threads into your egg mixture. If you dont do this,
the threads will drift about in your mix and you'll get uneven
distribution. Looks great in rice, but can be rather...suprising in other
things.

Hope this helps some! Here's to lots of people making fun medieval food
with wonderful saffron!
- --AM