SC - rasher/game birds

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 03:14:31 PDT 1998

	Morgana wrote

> Greetings All:
>
> I have a couple questions regarding a recipe a friend found on the net
> from
> some museum's site. All I've got is the redacted recipe, but I'd still
> like
> to try it. I suspect the museum was UK-based.

	Any chance of getting the address - as I'm UK based.

> 1) What, how much, is a rasher of bacon?

	A slice; can be back, streaky or middle (which is both back and
streaky).  I think this goes through what would be the fillet and belly
cuts.

> 2) If the recipe called for 3 game birds, 4 if they're small, how many
> cornish game hens would that translate into? As there aren't too many
> 'game
> birds' up here like grouse, etc., except the ptarmigan -- which is bigger
> -- I'm guessing that two cornish games hens would be a rough equivalent.

	'Game bird' could also be pheasant, woodcock, snipe etc (usually
pheasant), and about half the size of a game hen is reasonable.  They are
also drier in texture and darker in colour and flavour than game hens, which
will make a difference - don't know ptarmigan, but it might be closer.  I
did a lovely game stew at Easter, pheasants, rabbits, red wine, onions and
spices - yumm.

	BTW - if this recipe calls for the bacon to be wrapped around the
breast of the game bird whiilst roasting, its the classic way in England to
try to keep the breast moist, but I don't know of the same thing in period
> Thank for your help.
>
> Morgana
>
> Who will post the recipe if she can find the reference and remembers to
> bring the recipe home (it was left at the office today).

	Yes please.  Hope the above helps

	Caroline