SC - Roasted Animals

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Tue Apr 28 07:42:46 PDT 1998

Here is a recipe from about 1660 (I know, OOP), from The Complete Cook by
Rebecca price for roasted pig from Williamsburg VA (yes, I did indulge in a
few pamphlets, which I am still reading).

To Roast A Pig: A Very Good Why
	After your pigg is scalded drye the inside with a cloth, then spitt it and
put into the Belly thereof a handful of sage, a piece of butter, and a
crust of bread, then sew it up and lay it to the fire, and flower it very
thicke all over, and as it drops off flower it again, and so roast it with
a quick fire till it be almost enough and the coat thereof crisp, then with
a drye cloath wuipe all the flower clean off, and when it is brown and
crisp send it to the table with sawce made of the gravie that runs from it
in the roasting, butter being melted therein with some chopped sage, and
the brains of the pig.