SC - rose sotelties

Margritte margritt at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 22 11:12:38 PDT 1998

>> In a message dated 98-02-03 19:23:00 EST, someone wrote:
>>
>> <<   I am currently working on a solteltie dessert board for our
>>  upcoming Red Rose Ball (if we get the event bid :) ) >>
>>

>I don't know if this will help, but I ran across a recipe for crystallized
>rose petals in my local Safeway, of all places. I don't know if it is
>period - can anyone tell me if such things were used?

Aha! I knew I had it here somewhere. Sorry it's taken me so long to dig
them out, but here are period recipes for rose petals. If any of the
characters come out looking strange, they're probably a long "S".

I've made candied rose petals and mint leaves. The mint leaves made a much
bigger hit.

- -Margritte

***

How to pre†erve whole Ro†es, Gilliflowers, Marigolds, &c.
Dip a Ro†e that is neyther in the bud nor ouerblowne, in a †irrup,
con†i†ting of †ugar double refined, and Ro†ewater boiled to his true
height, then open the leaues one by one, with a fine †mooth bodkin either
of bone or wood, and pre†ently if it be a hot †unnie day, and while†t the
†unne is in †ome good height, lay them on papers in the †unne, or el†e drie
them with †ome gentle heate in a clo†e roome, heating up the roome before
you †et them in, or in an ouen vpon papers, in pewter di†hes, and then put
them vp in gla††es and keep them in drie cupbords neere the fire. You mu†t
take out the †eedes if you meane to eat them. You may prooue this,
pre†eruing with †ugar candie, in†tead of †ugar if you plea†e.
(Delightes for Ladies, by Sir Hugh Plat, 1609).

***

How to candy Rosemary flowers, Rose leaves, Roses, Marigolds, &c. With
preservation of color Dissolve refined, or double refined sugar, or sugar
candy itself in a little Rosewater, boile it to a reasonable height, put in
your rootes or flowers when your sirup is either fully colde, or almost
colde, let them rest therein till the sirup have pearced them sufficiently,
then take out your flowers with a skimmer, suffering the loose sirup to run
from them so long as it will, boile that sirup a little more and put in
more flowers as before, divide them also, then boyle all the sirup which
remaineth and is not drunke up in the flowers, to the height of manus
Christi, putting in more sugar if you see cause, but no more Rosewater, put
your flowers therein when your sirup is cold or almost cold, and let them
stand till they candie.
(from Hugh Plat's Delightes for Ladies, printed by Humphrey Lownes, 1609,
as quoted in Dining with William Shakespeare, by Madge Lorwin)

***

To candy any Roots, Fruits, or Flowers  Dissolve sugar, or sugar-candy in
Rose-water. Boile it to an height. Put in your roots, fruits or flowers,
the sirrop being cold. Then rest a little; after take them out, and boyl
the sirrop again. Then put in more roots, etc. Then boyl the sirrop the
third time to an hardness, putting in more Sugar, but not Rose-water. Put
in the roots, etc. The sirrop being cold, and let them stand till they
candy.
(from Gervase Markham's The English Hous-wife, printed by J.B.., For R.
Jackson, 1615, part 2 of Countrey Contentments, as quoted in To the Queen's
Taste, by Lorna J. Sass)

Gryphon's Moon - Celtic jewelry, garb, and much more.
Catalog at http://maclain.home.mindspring.com
Or email us at gryphons.moon at mindspring.com