SC - Help thinking up a class......

Mary Denise Smith costumemag at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 23 00:05:45 PDT 1998

<I took a GREAT class in Calontir, where she had a bunch of ingredients
and their possible substitutions. We got to compare all kinds of
vinegar, why wild rice isnt a good sub for white rice, why you cant
really use some spices in place of others, what the heck does a
lignonbery taste like anyway, etc. The piece de resistance is that she
had made three batches of rice. One used yellow food coloring, one used
tumeric and one used saffron. She also made numerous batches of
shortbread, subbing in different kinds of sugar (turbinado, white,
brown, etc) and different flours (rice vs whole wheat, etc) and
different fats (butter vs margerine vs oil). Kitchen Science! and no
more "hmm...well, this SHOULD be fine..." :)>

A class like this was just offered at Known World Arts & Sciences
Symposium in the Outlands. It got rave reviews.

Hope this helps.

Mary Denise Smith