SC - Definition needed: primary, secondary, tertiary sources ??

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Thu Apr 30 23:42:33 PDT 1998

Charles,

Thank you for all of your fine thoughts and concepts.  I hope to hear
how others view them.  And to answer your last question:

> who is it for?)

This information is for my own edification.  It all started a previous
12th night when my husband entered a brewing comp.  He was marked down
for using a "secondary source".  As we did not at the time have a copy
of the original source, he quoted the recipe as written in Cindy
Renfrow's (I'm not going to mangle her SCA name here)  A Sip through
Time.  Because he was working off the original recipe (not a redaction)
we thought it would be categorized as a "primary" source, but we were
mistaken.

Basically I have been mulling over this and related issues for a while.
I am preparing a specific feast to accompany a ball later in the year
and thus the issue was raised in my mind again.

Mainly I just wanted to see what the majority of the people on this list
consider to be P, S or T documentation.  Please note I am NOT trying to
say the judge in the case above was wrong, or that I was.  I am simply
looking for further information.

Meliora.