SC - Piquant foods

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 06:32:36 PST 1998

RMcGrath at dca.gov.au writes:

<<  I'd like to hear how others treat this matter
 when preparing Middle Eastern or Indian feasts, etc. >>

Chili peppers are New World.  Although they were a major agricultural crop in
the Mediterranean basin by 1523 C.E., there is no evidence that they were used
in cookery until much later.

Middle Eastern food is spicy admittedly but in no way is it "piquant."  And
India style period feasts would also not be "piquant" at least not in the
since that chili peppers would flavor a dish.

In answer to your question, I put a moderate amount of piquant spice in those
types of dishes when I prepare them outside the feast hall.  There are those
who for whatever reason think the more the better.  The is, of course,
ridiculous.  Chilies are meant to be used in the same moderation as any other
spice and add a certain depth of flavor that is really quite complimentary to
the other ingredients.  I would suggest experimenting with extant modern REAL
recipes from Mexico and India to find out what flavor chilies are supposed to
be like.  The Tex-Mex attitude about the hotter the better is amusing and
absurd and certainly does not reflect the way chili peppers are used in
seasonings any where else in the world.

Were such usage of chilies period, I would still use moderate amounts aiming
for an overall balance of flavor.  Anyone going to such a feast would be aware
of the cuisine being presented and the idea of mild or hot would be irrelevant
except in the context of flavor balance.  I certainly would not adjust my
recipes because someone might not like piquant and under no circumstances
would I recreate the recipe to cater to modern Burger King palates :-).

Ras